“Hybrid materials development, processing technology, product development and regulation”
The Institute of Biomaterials, University of Erlangen-Nuremberg, hosted the fourth HyMedPoly International Open Workshop “Hybrid materials development, processing technology, product development and regulation” on 5 December 2017, with over 80 delegates.
Following introductions to the institute by Prof. Aldo R. Boccaccini (Head, Institute of Biomaterials, University of Erlangen-Nuremberg) and to the HyMedPoly project by Dr Xiang Zhang, (Project Co-ordinator, Lucideon Ltd), the audience heard presentations from leading academic, clinical and industrial researchers:
- Biomedical composites by electrospinning: progress and challenges – Dr. Liliana Liverani, Institute of Biomaterials, University of Erlangen-Nuremberg, Germany
- Bacteria adhesion on orthopaedic implant materials – Dr. Ulrike Deisinger, CeramTec GmbH, Lauf, Germany
- From down in your knees to up in the sky – microbes meet materials Klaus Jandt University of Jena, Germany)
- Product development and regulation; a case study – Dr Mark Cresswell, Lucideon Ltd., Stoke-on-Trent, UK
- Antimicrobial applications clinical perspective – Dr Jochen Salber, Universitätsklinikum Knappschaftskrankenhaus Bochum GmbH, Bochum, Germany
The event was also an opportunity for the HyMedPoly project to hold closed workshops to review the progress of the fifteen early stage researchers as they develop new anti-bacterial therapies based on biomedical polymers and inorganic materials, discuss approaches to cell testing and learn about writing project proposals.